Contract : 6 month
Vacation : 2 months between contracts
Facilities on board : free of charge offered by the Company ( accommodation, meals, medical services )
Accommodation : shared cabin of two
Work schedule : 8 hours daily, free days by rotation in department
Job Cruise FEE : NO FEE for recruitment/ embarkation process
Embarkation costs : depending on ship/ itinerary ( medical files, visa fee, flight ticket, etc )
Position Title: Sommelier
Reports To: Head Sommelier/Assistant Maître d’s
Direct Reports: None
Promotes and provides an excellent wine service to our guests. Improves and maintains wine sales.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To support Celebrity Cruises’ mission of becoming “the world’s ultimate premium cruise line with a taste of luxury,” all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, ISM/ISO standards, USPH guidelines, and environmental regulations. Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Celebrity Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at
all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Celebrity Family Member (CFM) areas.
2. Provides wine service to guests in the restaurant and buffet restaurant. In some cases will be responsible for providing bar services other than wine.
3. Works in a station designated by the Head Sommelier and approved by the Restaurant Manager and follows the daily schedule, which is posted weekly in the wine cellar.
4. In addition to serving wine his/her duties include the re-stocking of the wine cellar on a daily basis, and once a week may be requested to work during the loading of wines onto to the ship.
5. Ensures personal appearance, personal hygiene and uniform appearance are at all times in accordance with the company policy.
6. Should be knowledgeable about the wine list and able to discuss and suggest wines to guests who
ask for advice. The knowledge of how to pair wine with food is imperative.
7. Has a clear understanding of the company’s service standards.
8. Applies salesmanship techniques in order to achieve maximum sales, which will result in higher personal compensation.2 of 3
9. Must be able to reach reasonable and attainable sales targets set by the company. This requires selfconfidence and commitment to the sales goals.
10. Reports all guests’ queries, discrepancies or suggestions to his/her immediate supervisor. Must have full knowledge of the cashless system on board the ship in order to process all transactions
11. Duties include the cleaning and sanitizing of his/her working area and working utensils following the United States Public Health rules and regulations and all times.
12. Must be available to work extra duties or longer hours if necessary.
13. Other duties related to the Bar Department may be assigned from time to time.
14. Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and CFMs with inquiries.
15. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
16. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard
employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
Ensures that guests are charged for pertinent special requests and services.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
Minimum of five years beverage-related experience (shipboard experience preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency required. Ability to analyze and interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, tips, proportions, percentages.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests. Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers. Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee
must occasionally vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: currently owns a fleet of 23 cruise ships and in the next period will launch other 2 vessels with capacity of 4000 passengers. Royal Caribbean cruise offers options that appeal to the widest possible market, customers ranging from standard to premium segment.
Celebrity Cruises: the company is oriented only towards premium customers segment, with a fleet of 10 cruise ships. Celebrity Cruises vessels are ranked in the top luxury cruise vessels in the world.
Azamara Club Cruises: the company is dedicated to serving the luxury and premium segment customers. Azamara has two cruise ships in the fleet.
Pullmantur Cruises: provides services exclusively to markets in Latin America and Spain, and aims standard customer segment. Pullmantur Cruises has a fleet of four cruise ships.
The length of contracts varies between 6-8 months, depending on the position obtained, with two months break between contracts. Hiring is for an indefinite term collaborations with 6-8 weeks vacation between contracts.
A job on a luxury cruise ship offers many opportunities, and the advantages are considerable:
Applicants must meet the following characteristics:
What are the steps to obtain a job on a cruise ship:
Pre-selection with the Agency:
Final interview with the Employer
Boarding the ship
What documents are required for register an application?
Creating a professional Curriculum Vitae is an essential element in the application process. For some candidates, it is a simple piece of paper, but for others, this piece of paper is the most effective tool to promote personal skills that can make a difference. Curriculum Vitae written in a professional form instantly attract the attention of Recruiter. In an open competition with other candidates, sometimes for a small number of jobs, this document may just tip the scales in your favor. The choice of form and content of this document is entirely yours. Our recommendation is to keep in mind that an attractive CV should contain accurate, clear, detailed and complete information .
It’s the main criterion for recruitment, a fluent communication is a guarantee of proper understanding and interpretation of job tasks, internal regulations and express your questions, it also helps the crew to rapidly adapt onboard.
The company strives to hire couples on the same ship, but cannot guarantee boarding on the same day for both partners. Company personnel needs prevail. Only candidates who can prove whether they are married, whether they live at the same address are accepted. Registration and couple IDs are available only on board when both partners have embarked, however it is very important to mention this aspect since the first discussion you have with our Recruiter.
During the interview, applicants are required to declare:
70 hours /week ( 7 days/ week, 10-12 hours/ day )
Normally, you will be working with at least 3 breaks on schedule.
Time is very carefully monitored aboard a cruise ship, by means of electronic timekeeping. You can perform additional work only at the express request of the management, in this case the overtime period will be offset by equivalent free time or paid overtime .
The cabins offer a decent comfort for two crew members, equipped with air conditioning, TV, internet access (with fee), bathroom.
Aboard a cruise ship, there are various ways of recreation and facilities offered for free to the crew members : the crew bar, recreation areas, internet café, library, gym, pool (on some ships).
For some staff members (officers , senior management positions and staff members), there may be extra privileges (access to certain passengers areas ) between certain hours.
There may be days off depending on rotation, even 24 hours, but they remain at the discretion of management team, NOT guaranteed by the contract. Normally, a day off aboard a ship typical equates to a free port day, but there are still a few hours of work.
Embarkation costs may vary, depending on the job or the port of embarkation.
Job Cruise does NOT ask for any tax or fee for its mediation services. Recruitment services, interviewing and assistance in embarkation process are FREE of charge.
Not always. In the boarding process, the representatives of JOB CRUISE offers detailed
information about access to transportation, accommodation location, people and contacts.